St. James Winery, Inc., an established highly rated family winery, is searching for an experienced, detail-oriented, dynamic business manager to lead our direct to consumer sales team. This is a hands-on position where teamwork, positive attitude and creativity is required. This person will oversee the winery’s Tasting Room, Wine Club, e-commerce and customer service business.
This position manages the strategy and tactical planning and task execution of the day to day operations of the St. James Winery Tasting Room in compliance with established policies and procedures.
|Location|| ||540 STATE ROUTE B|
Saint James, MO 65559
|Employee Type|| ||Exempt - FT|
|Minimum Experience|| ||5 Years|
|Required Degree|| ||4 Year Degree|
|Manage Others|| ||Yes|
The following duties are typical for this position. Employees may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Drive the financial planning, forecasting, and budgeting for the direct to consumer sales operation of the winery.
- Develop and execute tactical plans against the strategies to deliver consistent and impressive financial growth and strategic results in the tasting room.
- Define clear and specific hospitality performance standards aligned with winery values and manage staff to excel at these standards.
- Maintain knowledge of competitors and best-in-class direct to consumer practices in the wine business and other industries.
- Track and report on results as needed for management and staff, including sales performance and other key metrics. Correct course as needed to deliver against goals.
- Working with the marketing department, develop and execute holistic marketing programs across varied platforms, including print, web, email and social media, to accomplish sales goals.
- Working with the marketing department, create compelling programs and events at the winery to attract the consumers, deliver exceptional and unique experiences, and drive sales.
- Working with the marketing department, create and manage comprehensive outreach program to develop and leverage partner relationships to drive results.
- Lead, inspire, manage, motivate, coach and mentor staff to optimize team morale and performance. Activities include staff planning, recruiting, interviewing, hiring, firing, training, goal setting, assigning and directing work, conducting performance review, and addressing / resolving problems.
- Drive team’s training and professional development efforts to ensure growth and excellence in skills and knowledge.
- Build and ensure the highest levels of teamwork and inter-departmental cohesion within the winery.
- Manage the complexities of tasting room logistics and operations and resolve any issues.
- Working with the general manager – operations of the winery, ensure excellent presentation of winery grounds.
- Oversee vintage transitions in conjunction with winemaker, monitoring inventories to maximize profits and customer satisfaction.
- Collaborate and establish production needs for the winery based on well-developed sales forecasts.
- Design systems and processes to ensure efficient, effective and consistent business operations.
- Execute other management and hands-on-tasks as required.
Specific day to day duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee and manage the purchasing of supplies and the approval of resulting invoices.
- Oversee and manage the tracking and reporting of sales and inventory
- Oversee and manage the reconciliation of daily receipts
- Oversee and manage the hiring, training, scheduling and evaluation of staff.
- Oversee and manage the setting and tracking of staff compensation and incentives.
- Oversee and manage the tasting room merchandising and sales programing and promotional activities.
- Oversee and manage customer service.
- Oversee and manage collaboration between the tasting room and other winery departments as needed.
The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties.
Education and Experience Guidelines:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in Marketing, Communications, Retail sales, and/or experience in the hospitality industry reflecting increasing levels of responsibility.
- Supervisory/management experience
- Skilled in the use of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and other Microsoft programs. Experience with OneNote and SharePoint are a plus.
- Experience writing reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Experience managing and controlling inventory, bond transfers and reporting tax paid goods is a plus.
- Experience managing sales and profit.
- Experience defining problems, collecting data, establishing facts, and drawing conclusions.
- Experience of wine and wine business preferred
- Experience performing work in accordance with established procedures that are more complex and varied in nature, requiring some evaluation, originality or ingenuity.
- Interest in culinary and food and wine pairings preferred.
Physical Demands and Working Environment:
These conditions are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in both and office and a retail setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach,and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment, requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including the use of a computerkeyboard and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
- Required to lift and move cases of product weighing up to 50 pounds.
See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.